Friday, December 28, 2007

Noah's One Year Check Up


Today was Noah's one yr. Dr. appointment. He is 19.5lbs and 29.5 inches long. Everything checked out well. He said he was concerned about Noah's weight, and wants to have him weigh in in one more month. This is all fine, however I was surprised that he didnt ask for more info about it. For example, both my husband and I were skinny and tall as children, so hes got some of that genetically. Secondly, Noah was breastfed until one year. Breastfed babies have a totally different growth chart than the chart that is typically used. The WHO is working on it ask we speak. Thirdly, it is well known that when babies take off with walking they lose some of their baby weight. He eats well, is active, is hitting all his milestones, and does have some fat on him. So I am suprised that the Dr. wants to check him, but more surprised about not getting the background info. And I am not sure what is typical but I thought that 20lbs was about average for a one year old.

Oh and of course he ask if Noah wanted the chicken pox vaccine. Noah has not had any vaccines yet. I knew for sure that i did not want him to get the traditional 4-5 shots at a time every 2-3 months or so. Way to much to fast in my opinion. Now I am starting to think that no vaccines are best. I have done much research on this topic and I know that there is much debate about the vaccines. I feel that I should do a report on the topic to be fully informed.

Since I work at a healt department I know how that powers that be work, and I know that there have been many things to come out that have to be recalled because of contaminents or because it actually causes the disease instead of prevent. And I know why there is a lack of information out their to support the reasons for not vaccinating. As a mom you know something is wrong when you cant get a strait answer from anyone who should be an expert in the field. When a Doctor gets really upset and defensive about getting or not getting the vaccines, it tells me that there is something that they arent telling us. I have actually have a Doctor tell me that they wont treat my child if i do not get the vaccines. Needless to say we didnt become a patient.

I think I am going to go on my gut feeling on this one ;-P

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Noah is strong and healthy. You know that. Stand on that and keep doing a good job. Remember, other countries call the United States the "fat country". Daws told me that! So funny but true. We think bigger is better!

Elaine said...

Thanks for the encouragement! It is true, about us being the fat nation. Just look at size charts for items that are sold online. In other countries a large here is an extra large there. But we still go off growth charts that include overweight kids.

Renee Shaw said...

Hey Elaine thanks for commenting!
I got that grid from "picasa" just google it and download it, it's great! I love it because then you can use lots of pictures without it taking up so much space!
In regards to the vaccines, just go with your heart on it. I think that Isabella is due for some, but now that I've been hearing some things about vaccines, I think I'd rather not get them either. If I do decide to continue, she for sure won't be getting the "mmr" shot at a year...they say that that is a leading cause of autism. Anyway, just pray about it and God will lead you as to what you should do!