Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Traditions

Right now Kurt and I are deciding what to have for christmas traditions as a family while Noah is still to little to know better. I am sure that i do not want him thinking that Christmas is all about Santa and presents. What we are leaning towards is telling him the truth about St. Nicholas and not that Santa is real or magical.

I have recently discovered why seemingly harmless ideaology like magic can be used as a crutch or a distraction from the real meaing of Christmas. I want Noah to grow up with Christ as the center of Christmas. I am up for suggestions on actual traditions. I have thought about always volunteering as a family, making a birthday cake for baby jesus, and focusing on how God gave us a gift so we should give to others, etc. So if anyone has ideas let me know.

Also throw in the fact that Noah's birthday is on the 23rd! I have given some thought to giving him a half birthday party, but some people will be against this because it is not on his birthday. I want him to beable to separat the two. Or I could go with the idea that he shares a birthday time with baby jesus. Oh the possibilities! But we wount have too much longer to decide. So give me some feedback people! Here is a pic of Noah all bundled up for the weather, and forward facing in his car seat!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Having a birthday at Christmas is tricky. My mom's is on the 30th, and we get her a gift and take it to her. She just loves seeing everyone and appreciates a visit.

As far as Noah, I really didn't think about that much last year when he was born, I lost that in all the excitement. You probably did though...

Your family is always up for a party so I would imagine they would celebrate both Noah's and Jesus's at different times if that is what you choose to do. The fact that all of you kids are so close and enjoy your Christmas time together will be a tradition in itself for him. He will learn love, sharing and the balance a strong family life brings. He will learn that family is first and will always be there for him. As far as cookies, cards, gifts, or whatever people think is Christmas, that is not as important to me. It is the true meaning of Christmas, Jesus birth, the service at church, singing songs that praise Him (and bring back childhood memories), and being with family that matters to me. I love our candlelight service at church...lots of good memories.

Whatever you decide, it will be good for him, I am sure!

Elaine said...

Hey! Thank you for the feedback. I truly am thankful for you. You are always encouraging me and the other three! I always look forward to the candle lighting too! I know that you are superbusy but I really liked reading your blog about purity, it is so important for us to hold ourselfs to God standard, not to the worlds.

Renee Shaw said...

Hi Elaine, my first comment!

I think because Noah is so young that the whole birthday/christmas thing doesn't really matter right now, but for sure when he gets older you should do 2 totally separtate things! My sons birthday is right after Christmas on Jan 15, so it doesn't give much time to recover from the expense of Christmas, so we do our shopping for him on boxing day when all the toys are on sale! haha

As far as Christmas traditions, this is what we do. Well I guess I heard of this one this year and we will be doing in next year...it just refers to buying the gifts. "Something you want, something you need, something to play with, something to read" I love it! That way you don't go overboard on gifts and you can keep the real focus about Jesus! Also next year we are starting a "Jesus Jar" where all through the year we will put in change here and there or whatever, and close to Christmas we'll get all the money together and give it to a family in need! Or do a hamper of some sort for someone that God lays on our hearts. That way the kids can be joyful about giving all through the year not just at Christmas!
Happy thinking!
Renee

Elaine said...

Those are great ideas! I love both, the jesus jar and the gift saying. I am very much a sale person in fact i dont really pay full price for anything!(As i am sure most moms are this way out of necessity!)

Renee Shaw said...

haha It depends what it is if I'll wait for a sale, place like Childrens Place has awesome prices to start with, so I don't have a problem paying it, but when stuff is on sale I stock up! haha
But ya sometimes you just have to learn to shop for deals, it works out good in the end because you get what you need and yuo don't spend an arm and a leg!