Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Milk it baby!

Noah has officially started whole milk! The last few days he has had a few oz. (diluted) and has responded favorably. He will be one year old on the 23rd. He has not had any allergies, and has never had any bad responses to new foods, so I feel pretty comfortable starting him now. After he gets used to his milk I will stop nursing him in the morning. Right now he nurses two times a day, morning and night. This is totally doable, but I like to start working out in the mornings which means getting up early and leaving the house. Also his night feeding I feel that he still needs for emotional closeness, he is actually awake unlike the morning feeding. So he will cut back to one nursing a day.

Weening him has been pretty smooth so far. I have eliminated the nursing times that he seemed the least interested in first. For example, the first meal to go was Breakfast when he was getting plenty of nurisment from his oatmeal and juice. Then I eliminated supper, followed by lunch and finally, the middle of the night feeding. the middle of the night feeding just kinda of went away on its own because he stopped waking up hungry. So we have been on two nursing a day for awhile now.

I am so happy that I was able to meet my goal of nursing for one year. Had I relied on the hosipital nurses though it would have never happend. I was even dissapointed in the lactation consultant! This is a loong story, and i will give breastfeeding advice to anyone who asks, but i would not have made it with out reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and finding a LLL nearby to help me. There were also somethings I just had to learn for myself because every baby is different. In my opinion the key is having your baby latch on right after birth while they are in that "quiet alert" time. I was thankful to have alot of this, Noah was awake and alert for about three hours before he crashed for the day.

I have given some thought to continuing nursing for longer, but I will only do so if Noah needs it. I can tell when he really wants to nurse. I will not do it for my purposes, even though I love breastfeeding. It has definantly been a positive experience, but its purpose is for Noah. The last few times that he has nursed I have thought about how I will miss the quiettime spent together, but alas all good things must come to an end (or so I have heard). So wish me luck on cutting the morning meal out:)

3 comments:

Renee Shaw said...

I didn't get to nurse my kids longer than 2.5 months for Preston (my first) and 4.5 for Isabella. I never really looked into the LLL what exactly is their stand on breastfeeding and what not? (you can resond by e-mail if you want! you don't have to!)

Mandi said...

I finally found a way to keep up with you! LOL! So sad to say that friends who live this close have to rely on blogs rather than once a year run in's! We are just completing Caroline's weening. She will be 1 Jan 17. I wanted to make it 12 months but when Nathan started a second job the busyness and stress took it's toll on my milk supply. I love the blog! So encouraging and LOVE all the natural parenting! Have a great Christmas and a fun first birthday!

Elaine said...

Yes it is sad I know! But with our busy lives this is a great way to network! I would love to see the girls sometime though. Carolines first will be here before you know it! God Bless!