Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Pneumonia? Maybe Not...

Here is the update on Noah. Last Friday I finally got him into the Dr's. at 3:45pm. I told them that he was having trouble breathing and that he needed to see someone today. The receptionist told me that I could always take him to the ER. I ask her if she thought it was Er worthy, she told me it was up to me. So, I told her that I would monitor him and if they couldn't get me in today by closing then I would take him to the ER. SO when we finally got in, she said she hear some fluid in his lungs (the weird rattling sound) and was going to treat him for pneumonia. So we stopped at the Pharmacy to pick up his two anti-biotic, one steroid, and breathing treatments, along with his aerosol machine! I ask the Pharmacist if he needed all of this( I wanted a second opinion) She said that it is rare for two anti-biotic to be scribed, but it isn't like it never happens. But if I wanted i could hold off one anti-biotic I could. So that is what I did. We were then sent to the hospital for a chest x-ray that would be sent to the Dr. So all memorial day weekend we were staying home and giving Noah his treatments (and trying to get him to eat).

Finally on Tuesday we hear back from the Dr. The chest x-ray was negative. Kurt ask if we should still give him all his medication, they said yes. So We are continuing for another 5 days at least on anti-biotic and breathing treatments (the steroid was only for 5 days).

But it is just frustrating. First of all because my mom instincts told me that it is waaaay to much medication. Second it wasn't even pneumonia! It did however, give me a small glimpse in to the life of moms who have children who have long term health problems. I can see why they are always stressed out. Constantly having to depend on what Dr.s say and fitting into their schedule. Our whole health care system has advanced technologically, but has back pedalled when it comes to customer care. When ever I have to deal with Dr.s or hospitals I feel like a cog that comes through the manufacturing line, only to be spit out when its over. But it's like you have to get your child treatment. I dont know how many times I wish I had training in health care or something so that I could take care of my family. If I had time & money to study something like that I would.

No comments: