Monday, May 19, 2008

Frustrations

Noah is going through this phase...well maybe not a phase, but I hope it is. He wants to do everything himself. Like feed himself, and put his clothes on and get his own milk, and...wich some of the time isnt a problem. There are alot of finger foods that he can eat on his own. But if I give him something that needs a fork or spoon he doesnt eat much of it. Most of it ends up all over the place. When I try to help him he fusses and has a mini trantrum.

I understand why he is frustrated, he wants to do alot of things that he just doesnt have the skill for yet. Oh and adding to it he is testing us...when we say "No" or tell him to put something "down" (both of which he understands). He smiles and runs the other way. Grrr! So I am trying to ignore the trantrums or leave the room so that he doesnt get attention out of it. But with the testing, i have had to put him in his crib, with no toys or blankets, several times this past weekend. He really doesnt like it when i do that. I have heard one minute/age, so he gets one minute and 1/2, haha. Then when i get him out i say he needs to listen to, whatever that situation was.

It is so funny that there is so many ways to dicipline, but i think that you just need to know your child, spanking did not work, or does not work for Noah right now...and I really dont know how much force to use, also i noticed that when i spanked him, he wanted to hit me back...almost like a game,so the crib is working just fine right now. Maybe in the future...a naughty chair like nanny 911 haha.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh, I forget about those stages..until I am reminded! They all go through it, and it seems like sometimes we are the ones that get tested the most (the kids try to win the contest). As far as the food on the floor, one time my sister and I went to Putt-N-Bay and took her girls Kim and Jill, and Dawson and Tyler (2 and 3). We stopped on the way home to eat. When we were done, I looked down and there was food all over the floor, I mean everywhere. We laughed until we cried (we were so tired). That was one of my best memories with her and the kids. Hang tight, you will get through this.

Mandi said...

We're in the same boat as you right now with Caroline. It definitely must be someting they go through right now. Caroline also runs away when we tell her "no" or to "put something back". She is often laughing when she does it so we are trying to teach her that we are serious and it's not funny. Unfortunately it like her little game to have people chase her. It's frustrating but at least we are faster than she is! Believe me...after having three little girls, this is all just a stage! The independence will stay around but they show it in different ways. Running away will stop but then they start telling you no or talking back (oh my!) Like a very wise mom once told me......through out their childhood/teenage years, parenting never gets easier, it just changes! Oh how wise she was!

Mandi