Monday, January 7, 2008

The Son is Shining

So much has happened in the last few days and I have not posted so I will try to fill everyone in. First off myhusband Kurt has been layed off since June. This has been very difficult for us financially as will as emotionally and mentally. This time has taught us a lot. We have tried our best to have faith that God had a plan for Kurt and he was going to use him for his glory. It was like a rollercoaster ride. We would come across a job and have hopes only to have not get the job or he would get ideas for one direction, but they would not come to fruation. We have finally found what he is going to do and we both feel that the Holy Spirit has given us confermation that this is what he is to do. He is going to go back to school for his teaching degree! I feel that a huge weight has been lifted.
Our sermon this past sunday opened with the song about how God gives and Takes away. "You give and take away, You give and take away, my heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be your name. While we were singing, I just felt like "Yes, Lord you have given us all that we have, or dont have and we should bless your name either way". Even though we have had a break through with what God's will is for Kurt, it will be a hard road from here until he graduates. Then the next song was, "I'll never know how much it cost, to see my sin upon that cross". This go me thinking, God made the ultimate sarcrifce for us so that we can have eternal life, isnt my family worth me making sacrifices, like working full time? Eventually I want to be a part-time or even stay home mom, but right now that is not an option until Kurt is done with school. So I am willing to work for this to happen. Of course he is going to need to work part-time somewhere to make ends meet, but I just feel a peace about the whole thing, that has not happend for many many months.
The sermon went on and we watched two videos, one was about AIDS in Africa, and the next was about the child prostitution trade. Both play off of eachother. I want to get involved and I will be praying for guidance as to how to help, but I just made me see that we think we have trouble here in our small little bubble. I am not saying that not having enough money isnt a big problem, just that these children had worse problems. So here are some things that you can do: Go to the organization Remember Nhu Website and Coffee and Conversations Website and become aware of the problem. There is also a song you can download that will send procedes to the right places.
Truly I feel that we will be used for God's glory through Kurts talents and through these websites. Not only is the sun shining outside but the Son is shining in our lives.

3 comments:

Renee Shaw said...

Well Praise God you are in agreement! Every since Jared and I have been married we have had the philosophy that if we can't agree on it, we don't do it (no matter what it is).
We sing both songs at our church that you mentioned! Only for the first song..."Blessed be the name of the Lord..." We changed the lyrics from "you give and take away, you give and take away..." to "Though times & seasons change your love remains the same, my heart will choose to say Lord Blessed be your name..."
We felt that that was more scriptural, as God doesn't take away from us, only good things are from Him.
Anyway, congrats on discovering what your husband will do!
Blessings!

Mandi said...

Amazing testimony Elaine! Very inspiring! We definitely know what it's like to be waiting on God for Him to move so you can follow. Nathan starting looking for a different political job last April and well...we're still looking. He did end up leaving the other job and took a "90 day" slot at the national guard doing full time work. We're still in that job now in Jan. It's been a blessing from God to help us through but it is not what he wants to do in life and it's an hour and 15 minutes to Columbus each day. There have been lots of other disappointments with job offers and all along the way but we see afterwards just how that situaltion was not all it was cracked up to be. So we still wait on God and know that He is doing something awesome for us when HIS timing is right we will find out. It's amazing when we look back on our lives and see if we followed our path which we thought was flawless where it would have gotten us compared to the amazing path God has laid out for us.

I did a little write up with a praise song on my blog about it.
http://sweetsugarcandy.blogspot.com/2007/11/i-will-praise-you-in-this-storm.html

Praise God for the direction in your lives!

Elaine said...

Renee,
I do agree with you that God only has good things planned for us so it is not that he takes things away. But I do feel that if we do not use our gifts for his glory, he will use someone else! And as we do more for his kingdom with what he has given us the more responsibility he gives us. Maybe I will bring up those lyrics to our church:)